A portable ice maker can be a life savior and the best alternative to a full-size refrigerator in a living area. It saves a lot of space in your kitchen or workspace without compromising on cooling efficiency. But, maintenance of these machines is often overlooked, resulting in damages or repairs.
It is crucial to take care of your portable ice maker for a better longevity and good performance. But, some cleaning tweaks can increase the life of the device and ensure consistent performance. What if you get all those cleaning tweaks in one place? Well, that’s the reason you are here.
Here, we are going to gain complete knowledge about how to clean a portable ice maker. Right after going through this article, you can double the performance of your device and make it last longer. So, let’s dive in!
How often should you clean a portable ice maker?
The frequency of cleaning a portable ice maker varies from user to user and also depends on usage frequency. It also depends on whether you are using it for residential purposes or commercial purposes. There is a specific code in FDA regulations suggesting that ice machines should be cleaned and sanitized every day. But, these are the normal signs showing it is time to clean your portable ice maker.
- If you come across scale build-up on the evaporator plates
- Cloudy appearance
- Longer harvest time
- Softer ice than before and faster melting
- If you notice a strange taste or odor from the ice
Apart from all those signs, you must clean your portable ice maker to get the benefits such as
- Avoid costly repairs
- Increase the life of the condenser and filter
- For consistency performance at full capacity
- Prevented unwanted heat transfer leading to decrease in efficiency
Necessary supplies required to clean a portable ice maker
Although normal cleaning accessories used for normal appliances can get your job done, we shall go for an efficient cleaning procedure. Here are the cleansing supplies recommended by the experts and most manufacturers to clean a portable ice maker.
- Soft and dry clothes (for different purposes)
- A soft sponge
- Lukewarm water
- Vinegar or Mild Dishwashing detergent
- A toothbrush or a Q-tip
- A tool to measure the quantity or a tablespoon
Steps to clean the interior of the portable ice maker
It is smart to clean the interior of the device before cleaning the exterior section. But, cleaning the interior section of an electronic device is tougher. Thus, you can follow these itinerary steps to ensure a perfectly cleaned ice maker.
1. Unplug the device and remove the water
It may sound quite obvious to you, but most accidents happen only because people forget to unplug. Once you unplug your device, you should remove even the last single drop of water from it. You can also hold your device upside down for 5 minutes to drain out the water.
2. Remove and clean the ice tray
Although most portable ice makers have simple removal procedures. It can be a bit tricky for you if this is your first time. You can check out the manual to know about the removal procedure. Once you have removed the ice tray from the device, here are the steps to follow: –
- Add a few drops of vinegar or a mild cleansing liquid to a sponge
- Clean the tray without missing any part
- You can also use a brush or a scrub to get rid of hard build-up
- Add some lukewarm water to a soft cloth and clean the tray
- Let it dry for half an hour
3. Interior cleansing
If you haven’t used your portable ice maker for a while, you may have to handle foul odor while cleaning. Well, it won’t stay anymore if you follow these steps
- Add some vinegar to a hard cloth
- Scrub the whole interior of the machine and soon the foul odor will vanish
- Drop two tablespoons of mild detergent and scrub the walls
- Continue this process until you get clear walls without any white build-ups
- Let it dry for some time
4. Cleaning the condenser and filter
Experts advise cleaning the condenser of portable ice makers once every six months. These steps will help you clean the condenser of your device effectively
- Removal of condenser varies in every device. You can go through the manual or manufacturer’s site to learn about it.
- Check for any kind of dirt between the fins
- You can blow the dirt using a blower but, cleaning with a brush is safe
- Clean the condenser without any traces of dirt
- You can clean the filter using mild soap and water
Once you are done with all those interior cleaning steps, attach the dried ice tray and condenser to the machine. Now, you can catch up with the exterior cleaning procedure.
Steps to clean the exterior of the portable ice maker
The exterior section of a portable ice maker is similar to standard home appliances. All you need to do is follow these steps
- Unplug the portable ice maker
- Take some cleaning solution in a bowl and mix it with lukewarm
- Apply and rub the diluted solution with clothes
- You can use the brush to eliminate stubborn stains on the body and stands
It is an ideal procedure to clean the exterior of a portable ice maker. But, make sure not to use harsh chemicals such as bleach, which can fade the color of the machine.
A portable ice maker can serve you for a long time and prevent increased energy costs by cleaning it frequently. It is good to clean the device once every 3 months to maintain the same efficiency for years to come.